Department of Geology and Geochemistry of Solid Combustible Minerals
Head of the department: Cand. Sc. in Geology and Mineralogy, senior scientific worker
- V. Poberezhskyy
The department of geology and geochemistry of solid combustible minerals was founded in 1965. At first it was called “Department of Coal Geology”. Candidate of Science in Geology and Mineralogy, and since 1975 Doctor of Science in Geology and Mineralogy Kushniruk V. O. was the first head of department. In 1985 Academician V. Yu. Zabigailo was at the head the department. In 1996–1998 Cand. Sc. in Geology and Mineralogy O. Ye. Ivantsiv work as the head of department, and from 1998 to 2003 Doctor of Science in Geology and Mineralogy V. I. Uziuk, from 2003 to 2013 – Candidate of Science in Geology and Mineralogy S. I. Byk, and since 2013 – Candidate of Science in Geology and Mineralogy A. V. Poberezhskyy.
Main directions of investigations of the department are:
- the theory of coal forming, studies of regularities of forming and distribution of coal-bearing series;
- problems of forming and location of methane-coal fields.
Research development works of the department are directed to studying and solving of a number of urgent questions of coal geology.
Staff members of the department carry aut the following works:
- Studies of coal-bearing formation of the south-western edge of the East European Platform;
- Research of lithological facies fealures, paleogeographic environment of accumulation of initial substance and morphological structure of coal seams of the coal-bearing formation of the Lviv Paleozoic depression;
- Research of properties of coal and coal-bearing rocks of the Lviv-Volyn Coal basin;
- Studies of the question of generation of hydrocarbon gases in the process of coalification of organic substance and their abiogenic origin assocciated with depth process of the Earth;
- Analysis of the influence of reservoir properties of coal and coal-enclosing rocks upon the potential for gas presence in the coal-bearing series;
- Establishing of the relationship between gas distribution in coal seams and coal-bearing rocks and disjunctive tectonic dislocations;
- Studies of burst-out danger of the coal rock massif of the Lviv-Volyn Coal basin;
- Research of the influence of intraformational and epigenetic washings upon degassing of coal seams.
Special attention was paid to study of coal of deep-seated horizons of the Visean Stage, because commercial reserves of the Serpukhovian coal in the Lviv-Volyn Basin are limited and the prospects of the basin’s development is connected exactly with the Visean formations.
There are mass-spectrometry and chromatography laboratories functioning at the department in which experimental investigations of quality indicators of coal and enclosing rocks (chemical-technological, chemical, physical and coal-petrographical) are executed.
Results of investigations were stated in numerous scientific reports and publications in professional domestic and foreign issues.
At present 14 employees are working at the department, including 3 Candidates of Science.
Collaborators from the department actively participated in numerous international scientific conferences, among their number are: 7th and 8th European Coal onference (Lviv, 2008; Darmshtadt, 2010), 3d Polish Geological Congress (Wroclaw, 2016).
Together with other departments of the Institute, department of geology and geochemistry of solid combustible minerals is a basic stucture of the Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine for problem “Geology and Geochemistry of Combustible Minerals”.