Head of the laboratory Candidate of Science (Cand. Sc.) in Geology Roman Pavlovych Pankiv
The laboratory of geoecology problems was founded within the framework of the department of geology and geochemistry of solid combustible minerals. At different times its name was gradually changed with changing main directions of the Institute: from 1953 to 1964 – the department of hydrogeology and engineering geology (Cand. Sc. V. P. Linetskiy); from 1964 to 1967 – the department of oil migration (Doctor of Science in Geology, Professor V. P. Linetskiy); from 1967 to 1983 – the department of oil- and gas-bearing provinces (Cand. Sc. in Geology and Mineralogy V. V. Kolodiy); from 1983 to 1989 – the laboratory of hydrogeology and hydrogeochemistry of oil-gas provinces of the department of oil and gas (Doctor of Science in Geology and Mineralogy V. V. Kolodiy); from 1989 to 2010 – the department of oil-gas hydrogeology, geochemistry and protection of hydrosphere (Doctor of Science in Geology and Mineralogy, Professor V. V. Kolodiy, 1967–2003; Candidate of Science in Geology and Mineralogy M. I. Sprynsky, 2003–2004; Candidate of Science in Geology R. P. Pankiv, 2004–2010); since 2010 and up to now – the laboratory of geoecology problems within the framework of solid combustible minerals (Candidate of Science in Geology R. P. Pankiv).
On the basis of solving methodical and practical questions of engineering geology and theoretical problems of oil migration it was possible to form notions of the depth origin of oil (V. P. Linetskiy). On the basis of laboratory investigations it was possible to substantiate the formation of chloride calcium-natrium waters based on the kation exchange in the water-rock system (V. G. Tkachuk, S. Z. Saidakovskiy, S. M. Tsvyk). Engineering-geological investigations were out as anthropogenic deposits of the western areas of Ukraine were studied (M. S., Demediuk, A. B. Bogutskiy, M. G. Pertsovych). Hydrogeological investigations were executed on the basis of the analysis of organic of organic and inorganic constituents of water-soluble substance (S. V. Niechyna, S. G. Galakh, V. I. Mygovych, Ja. A. Zakotina and others).
Hydrogeological conditions of oil-gas complexes of the Carpathian (V. V. Kolodiy, K. S. Gavrylenko, V. M. Shchepak, M. I. Spynsky, V. G. Harasymchuk, R. P. Pankiv, G. B. Medvid), Dnieper-Donets (V. V. Kolodiy, V. Yo. Nudyk, L. K. Hutsalo), Crimean-black Sea (V. V. Kolodiy, O. D. Shtogryn, I. M. Dolenko (Likhomanova), T. P. Syvan) oil- gas provinces and Volyn-Podillya oil-gas area (V. V. Kolodiy, V. M. Shchepak, R. P. Pankiv, V. G. Harasymchuk, G. B. Medvid, M. V. Kost’, O. V. Teleguz) in connection with substantiation of the regional and local oil-gas presence.
The are 21 collaborators working at the laboratory of geology problems, among their number 4 Candidates of Science in Geology and 1 Candidate of Science in Geography.
Main directions of research works of the laboratory are the following:
- regional hydrogeology oil-gas provinces
- the nature and aspects of formation of ground-waters deposits, hydrogeological conditions of migration, formation and localization of oil and gas deposits
- hydrogeological criteria of mineral waters
- special features of mineral waters
- problems of environmental protection
In the field of protection of the environment protection (natural waters and soils) the following research work are executed:
■ determination of peculiarities of distribution of forms of elements in soils
■ determination of abilities of soils as receptors of pollution and development of recommendations for employment of artificial types of physical-chemical barriers on the way migration of pollution
■ determination of the limits of the abilities of water and soils to self-cleaning
■ determination of areas of the pollution distribution in ground-waters and soils
■ estimation of the directions and velocities of the migration of the pollution sports in the geological environment
■ determination of the degree of the ground-water protection
■ prediction of the systems of natural waters stable to pollution
■ estimation of potable fresh waters and mineral waters based on chemical composition
■ estimation of the quality of water for technological needs of some enterprises
■ carrying out of monitoring based on the influence of some industrial enterprises and constructions upon natural waters and soils of adjoining territories
■ mapping of the intensity of technogenous load upon natural waters and soils
■ study of chemical pollution of atmospheric precipitation
■ development of recommendations as to the burial of industrial sewage into deep water-bearing horizons.
To main scientific findings of the laboratory are related:
- hydrogeological and hydrogeochemical peculiarities of oil- and gas-bearing fields of the Carpathian oil-gas province and the Volyn-Podillya oil- gas area have been ascertained. Regional and local hydrochemical, hydrodynamic and thermobaric conditions of these structures have been studies
- genetic classification of hydrogeochemical anomalies has been developed and their importance has been demonstrated as criteria in the course of searching oil and gas
- hydrogeological criteria have been proposed that indicate the ways and directions of migration, its time and duration, physical state of migrating hydrocarbons in different hydrogeological conditions
- hydrodynamic and hydrogeological conditions of the potential for oil and gas presence in the north-western shelf of the Black Sea and within the limits of the Northern Black Sea water basin have been ascertained
- hydrogeochemical conditions of concentrations of rare alkaline elements and strontium have been investigated as well as their importance as to search for oil and gas in the Carpathian oil-gas province
- a hydrogeological data base named “Physical-chemical properties and composition of ground-water of the Carpathian oil-gas province” has been created as the basis of complex informational-prospecting ensuring of the tasks of oil-gas geology
- geological-hydrogeological conditions haves been studies and the possibility of underground storing of toxic accompanying water and sewage from enterprises of mining and chemical industry has been substantiated theoretically. Perspective volumes and reliability of burial have been estimated that rule out possibility of fresh water pollution
- ecological-geochemical studies of the forms of the existence of heavy metals in soils of the city of Lviv and its edges have been executed; the connection between metals and granulometric composition and physical-chemical indicators of soils and characteristics of elementary geochemical landscapes have been ascertained; typomorphic elements of technogenous pollution of the areas located in different geological and geomorphological regions have been ascertained; the connection between the coefficients of biologic absorption and water-soluble and lightly exchanging forms of the elements has been determined
- the character of anthropogenic pollution of the surface waters and alluvial deposits of the River Dniester basin has been studied; the availability of the regional pollution of the surface waters of the determined
- he degree of technogenous influence of the objects of oil extraction upon the surface waters in the basin of the River Stryi has been ascertained; appropriate ecological-hydrogeochemical zoning of the region has been carried out
- according to the results of hydrogeochemical investigations of microelement composition of mineral waters of the Ukrainian Carpathians in became possible out carbonic-acid waters concentrated with potassium, cesium, strontium, calcium and ferrum into separate group, and the possibility of their usage as natural radioprotectors has been substantiated theoretically
- ecological-geochemical investigations of the surface and ground-waters and soils have been executed in the zone of influence of the mining enterprises of the Lviv Region; the sources and the ways of the polluters’ coming have been established
The laboratory of geoecology problem carries out the following works on the departmental themes: C-III-06-16 “Hydrogeological conditions of the formation, preservation of hydrocarbon deposits and geological problems of oil-gas extraction in the Outer zone of the Precarpathian trough”, C-II-02-12 “Geoecological problems of the west of Ukraine (based of the example of the territory of the Lviv Region)” and C-II-01-12 “Problems of the development of “shale” gas of the west Ukraine”. Priority thematically direction of researches and scientific-technical working outs is the following: Technologies of ascertaining and estimating of useful minerals, their rational ecologically safe extraction.
According to the results of investigations the recommendation “Prediction of the potential of oil and gas presence in the sedimentary series of the Lviv Paleozoic trough based on hydrogeological signs” (under the theme B-III-06-11 “Hydrogeological investigations of the Lviv trough in connection with oil-gas presence” / authors R. P. Pankiv, G. B. Medvid, V. Yu. Harasymchuk , M. V. Kost’, O. V. Teleguz) was developed and submitted for adoption into Gas industrial control (GIC) “Lvivgazdobuvannia”. Materials of the given recommendation were accepted for usage and introduction while in the context of oil-gas presence in the territory of the Lviv for 2016 and the next years.
During the last five years the results of investigations have been expounded in 4 scientific reports, 1 monograph, 65 scientific papers, 57 heads of reports and in materials of 2 dissertations (2012-2016).
Collaborators from the laboratory have participated actively in 35 international scientific conferences, including: XII–XVI Intern. Scient.-Pract. Conf. “Resources of natural waters of the Carpathian region” (Lviv, 2012-2016), II–III Intern. Scient.-Pract. Conf. “Fresh water. Fundamental, applied and industrial aspects” (Kyiv, 2014-2015), II Intern. Scient.-Pract. Conf. “Ecological safely as a basis of stable and perspectives” (Lviv, 2015).
The head of the laboratory Pankiv R. P. takes an active part in the work of Consultative council within the framework of the Department of Ecology and Natural Resources of the lviv Regional State administration..
There are conducted joint scientific investigations and publishing activity with scientists from geological faculty of the Lviv I. Franko National University. Pankiv R. P. Has written the review on the educational text-book of Kharkevych V. V. “Dictionary “Ground waters” (Publisher LIFNU, 2015. – 100 p.) and the review on the educational text-book of Kharkevych V. V. “Dictionary “Practical studies on dynamics of ground water” (Publisher LIFNU, 2015. – 100 p.).
The collaborator from the laboratory Kalmuk S. D. together with Lukianchuk D. V. (the department of problems of geotechnology of combustible minerals) have won the grant for young scientists of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine on the theme: “Thermodynamic model of the vase organic substance and determination of the potential for oil-gas presence of the shale rocks of the Ukrainian Carpathians”.
The scientific potential of the laboratory is rather high to develop successfully the main directions of the Institute’s investigations – hydrogeological conditions of the formation and preservation of hydrocarbon deposits and geological problems of the West of Ukraine (theory of oil-gas origin and forming of deposits and fields of oil, gas, coal bed methane and shale gas and geoecology and development of scientific bases of energy-effective geotechnologies).